Tuesday, July 1, 2014

From a Rocky Beginning to an Even Rockier End

These last two weeks could not have been any more different than they have been. In the words of my new Spanish teacher, José, "mas diferente imposible." Everything that happened was just so out of the ordinary: My cousin almost randomly moved to Grapevine, and Leila and I made it to Guatemala, which, by the way, has been great.

Getting to Guatemala was insane (if you don't want to read my crazy airport/travel story, skip the rest of this paragraph). First, we found out that there is an embargo on boxes going to Guatemala twenty minutes before our boarding time. This proved to be a substantial obstacle because my oh-so-generous mother had filled seven HUGE boxes with donations for missionaries in Guatemala and an organization called Mayan Families. Oh, and Leila was going standby. Oh, and did I mention that now it is almost 15 minutes until boarding, and we aren't even at the right terminal?! Yeah. Anyway, Rachael and I ended up going home with all of the boxes to repack the donations and our food/liquids into suitcases, and return to the airport the following day for the next flight out. We drop my mom and Leila off at Gate A, and then we return home with boxes (and this freaky microscope that my mom insisted I bring as my carry-on) in tow. The flight was scheduled to take off around 4:15 in the afternoon, and after a while, the short delays became longer delays. The plane wouldn't leave the ground until 9:15, and there was a slight chance that Rachael and I could check our suitcases and make it back on the plane in time! Now we are down to thirty minutes to tear apart the boxes and throw everything into suitcases, making sure to weigh and re-weigh each one. That was quite the process, and we could not have done it without the help of my tireless cousin, Elizabeth (yes, the one that just moved to Texas), and my faja. Fast forward: we made it to the airport, checked all of our bags, sat down for a casual glass of Sprite, and returned to the gate only to find out that the flight would be cancelled until seven am the following morning. Great. Dandy. Lovely. Wow! So exciting! The next day at the airport proved effortless, even peaceful, and it turns out the Leila got on (even though she was last on the standby list), and she was randomly placed next to me on the plane! Que extraño! We made it to Guatemala City, and we greeted two brand-spanking new missionaries (but don't actually spank them because I have heard that is not allowed or something?!) as they came off of a plane from Nicaragua to go to the MTC. After a fancy shmancy hotel tried to rip us off (reservations were all sorts of messed up because of the plane fiasco), we decided to go to Pana the same day. And we did! Victor, the same driver that we used last year when we came to Guatemala, took us to the Missionary Training Center, where we met the Mission President and his wife, the temple, where four girls wanted to take twenty pictures each with us (which was actually pretty sweet), and then home, to Panajachel. And we have been here ever since. *que the angels from above, not below, duh*

So here are some great things that have happened since we got here:

1. The other person living in the house we are living in for the next month is a twenty-two year old, recent college graduate named Hannah. And she is great! We have all had fun going on adventures, eating tacos, and grabbing some helado from Marco Pollo.

2. The three of us went kayaking on Lake Atítlan. It was absolutely gorgeous.

3. We took a boat across the lake to Santa Cruz, and we went on a hike to a bunch of different waterfalls with our young guide, Jambio. We only almost died like five times parents, don't worry. But seriously, free climbing is so invigorating, and I hope to do some more of that soon. Knowing that your life really is in your fingers and toes is crazy. The boat ride back was even more interesting because there were WAY too many people on the boat. It went twice as slow, and we had to sit in the very back right next to the captain. I'm glad that I looked like a dead mouse before I ever got on the boat because I continued to get soaked the whole way back. Our shoes still aren't dry.

4. Leila and I ate spider webs, which I must say, was something I have never had the desire to do. But it was strangely awesome. The web basically disappears in your mouth before you can even feel it. I would highly recommend this as a form of entertainment. It must not be dangerous to your health because I feel great!

5. Leila and I saw a squirrel pee. It climbed up a tree and then showered its lovelies down on a bush below. That might not sound very special, but take a minute and ask yourself this question: have you ever seen a squirrel pee? 

6. Our Spanish classes have been pretty interesting. We have played Scrabble in Spanish, and today José taught us a bunch of comebacks in español for when guys try to hit on us in the streets. They would probably work if the guys were in trees, too, but that just doesn't seem as probable.

7. Volunteering at Mayan Families is pretty chill. It feels a little bit less purposeful than last time because I'm not teaching a class this time around, but I am still getting to do design work, which makes me happy. The kids that hang around there are hilarious, as well. I pulled out photo booth, and they flocked. Hilarity ensued, and the pictures speak for themselves. But the kids can't, so I will just tell you, they were laughing and screaming the entire time. 100% greatness.

And now for some pictures.



















No comments:

Post a Comment